Aug 1, 2000 - San Francisco, Calif. - Affirming its promise to create an outstanding customer experience in online travel, Hotwire announced today it has partnered with a group of proven industry leaders that will help the company launch its service this fall. Hotwire's technology partners - Eland Technologies, Sabre and Scient (Nasdaq: SCNT) - represent a "best of breed" philosophy that brings reliable, scalable technology and proven execution to Hotwire's operation. These companies, together with Hotwire's six major airline partners, will help the company deliver the easiest way for consumers to get the best prices for airline tickets, rental cars and hotels.
Hotwire will be the most trustworthy source for great deals on leisure travel. The top airline, hotel, and car rental companies will compete for each consumer's business, enabling Hotwire to provide deals that are consistently lower than published prices. Hotwire's founding airline partners include American, America West, Continental, Northwest, United, and U.S. Airways.
"Simply put, we've partnered with the best and brightest in every area of our business," said Karl Peterson, CEO of Hotwire. "Our goal is to create loyal customers by delivering the best prices and a hassle-free experience. This requires us to enlist companies with proven track records and reliable technologies."
Hotwire's technology partners cover three key areas:
- Eland Technologies is providing software interface solutions to Global Distribution Systems (GDS). Eland's Java-enabled "Runway" software enabled Hotwire to begin development work immediately, even prior to choosing a GDS partner. By abstracting Hotwire's core development team from the complexities of different GDS's, Eland enabled Hotwire's development efforts to better focus on delivering differentiated value to our customers.
- Sabre is providing Hotwire with a powerful GDS solution and pairing it with top-notch dedicated support resources. Sabre's GDS, the largest in the world, serves Hotwire by providing a single point of contact to access the schedules and inventory of all of Hotwire's airline partners. Sabre's new Fare Network algorithm will benefit Hotwire users by consistently identifying lower fare options. Hotwire is also using Sabre's e-commerce consulting organization to evaluate expansion opportunities.
- Scient is providing Hotwire with e-Business expertise and helping Hotwire to target an accelerated launch schedule. Scient's eBusiness strategists and customer experience architects enabled the Hotwire founders to quickly form a comprehensive set of technology requirements in order to staff the development team and execute on the development plan.
Hotwire has created a new way to buy leisure travel that allows flexible consumers to gain access to the best deals... easily and without exception. Hotwire's unique method of having suppliers compete for each customer means it will provide deals that are consistently lower than published prices and make travel more affordable. Hotwire's founding airline partners are American, America West, Continental, Northwest, United, and U.S. Airways. Hotwire, headquartered in San Francisco, CA, was established in 1999, with an initial $75 million investment from Texas Pacific Group and its founding airline partners.
Sabre is the global leader in applying information technology to meet the needs of the travel and transportation industries with advanced and innovative technology to deliver progressive solutions. Headquartered in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, the company has more than 10,000 employees worldwide who span 45 countries. Sabre reported 1999 revenues of $2.4 billion, up 5.6 percent from 1998. Net earnings excluding special items were $264 million, up 15.2 percent from the prior year. Sabre and the Sabre logo are registered trademarks of an affiliate of Sabre Inc.
About Eland Technologies
Based in Dublin, and with offices in Brighton (UK), Letterkenny (Ireland) and Phoenix (AZ.), Eland Technologies is a leading supplier of software products and services to the travel and transportation industries. Eland provides state-of-the-art innovative software solutions that enable their customers to increase their efficiency, effectiveness and productivity. With its Java services division, its ongoing R&D in the area of wireless technologies, its unrivalled expertise in legacy integration and the design of wide-area distributed architectures, Eland boasts a peerless track record.
About Scient®: The eBusiness Systems Innovator ™
Scient is the premier firm in systems innovation. Scient delivers electronic businesses to create unassailable market positions for clients. Scient provides:
- eBusiness strategy.
- eBusinesses that are rapidly architected, engineered, and delivered.
- Just-in-time innovations that enhance and extend eBusinesses.
Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Dallas, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Silicon Valley, London, Munich, Paris and Singapore, Scient can be reached at www.scient.com or 415/733-8200.